Whilst I continue on developing the story I have also been data wrangling and trying to get everything in order.
As I started trying to edit a few weeks back I realised that despite the fact that everything was kinda working when I get further down the track and I have to show this to someone who actually needs to find things in some kind of ordered way everything is just going to fall apart.
So the last few weeks of this year whilst also trying to get the story developed and have a better idea of exactly how I want to edit this film. Along with what is left to film. I will also be moving massive files between drives and sorting out file structures and naming conventions always with a blind panic in my heart that when I delete something I may have deleted the most important file of all accidentally.
I am doing backups on backups and even maintaining a haphazard drive of sorts that remains in my first save, its saved file structure. Inshallah there are no files destroyed that I should have.
Thankfully I have also come across a few articles on the web about how similar things have happened to others which makes me a little less nervous until I read how they also lost files.
Added to this has been a bit of swapping around between FCP 7 and FCP X, two non-linear editing systems or one that was reborn. I was using FCP X when I was working at ANU and was reasonably happy with it despite everyones rage and concerns. Then I went back to FCP 7 as I thought I would find an editor to work with and that editor would only have or work with FCP 7. I have since not found an editor and have decided to jump back where I was feeling comfortable.
The jump has been a success of sorts in that I find that it is so much easier to sort footage in FCP X than it ever was in FCP 7 and lord only knows that I have a bit of footage.